Sunday, July 22, 2018

Mama Kits and Trainings

Recently I was asked in an email about two very important and highly successful ministries of the IMFC.  Below is the entire email, and my answers are in italicized bold.  

First of all thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate this opportunity. As I said earlier, I have been asked to talk to the ladies at our church about the mama kits and the reusable sanitary pads.  


Mama Kit Questions:


1.)  How much do the kits cost (U.S. and Shillings)?

$7 US or currently 26,152 Ugandan shillings per kit.


2.)  What do the kits contain?

Each mama kit contains plastic sheeting, razor blades, cotton wool, gauze pad, soap, surgical gloves, exam gloves, cord ties, and a child health card.  Each kit also includes an instruction sheet in both English and Luganda.  All of the supplies are sealed so that they remain sterile until needed. Birthing a baby is way beyond my limited abilities to understand, but I have been assured by those I trust that seem to know what they are doing that everything one needs for a healthy normal birth is included in the kit. 


3.)  If possible, where could I order one to show the ladies?

I’m not sure if you can get one in the US, Jimmy may have one - I don’t, but here is an email address you might use to find one info@mercyformamas.com. 


4.)  How is it determined who will receive the kits?

Our guys who are working in the slums see a pregnant lady as they walk and share and inquires if she needs one.  All of the ladies need them - very few of them are prepared to give birth.  


5.)  When will the women receive the kits?

The sterile packages do have an expiration date, I don’t know why.  And we have learned from experience that providing them too early is not really a good idea, so we aim at giving them to the ladies beginning in the later part of month 7.  As you can imagine when we are distributing them 9 month ladies receive their’s first, then 8, finally we end with month 7.   Earlier months are given our phone number in order to call when they are ready.  No lady is turned down for one though.  That would be morally reprehensible.  Quite often the guys will have to take down names and return with one or two later, because always more ladies show up to the distribution point than they counted when they were doing their preparation and planning.


6.)  How much is the boda [motorcycle taxi] ride to the hospital (U.S. and Shillings)?

This is not standard at all.  It all depends upon where they are in relation to the clinic, doctor’s office or hospital.  I’ve heard it ranges from 3,000 to 10,000 shillings and occasionally even more.  ($1 - $5US). We do not provide hospital boda-ride fares, because rarely would the money be used for hospital boda-rides, but we do teach them how to save for the inevitable when we distribute the kits and encourage them strongly to do so.


7.)  Approximately, how many women will use the kits at the hospital, and how many will use the kit at home in the slums?

Wow, this is something we have never even considered tracking.  It would be interesting to know though.  


8.)  How many kits are given out in a month, and what are the costs involved with that? 

We budget for 100, but often the demand exceeds that to around 150.  The last few months we’ve seen the need jump to 200, and God has continued to provide over and above the budgeted amount. Our desire is to always do more, and now we see the need to introduce them to Kenya, because poor displaced pregnant women are not limited to just the Ugandan slums.   The need is there as well.  So to answer the cost part of the question, we currently budget $700 monthly for the kits.  In actuality the kits often cost the IMFC around $1,050, and for the last few months it has cost about $1400 US.  


9.)  Approximately, how many lives are saved because of these kits (mothers and infants)?

This is something else that we have never even considered tracking, and I’m not sure we could do it with any accuracy at all. Though we do hear almost daily how much this $7 investment means to someone.  We are always being introduced to “our” babies as we walk the streets. This mama kit program is one of the first tactics we use when entering an area for the first time. This is a simple ministry that paves the way for the Gospel to be shared openly and easily. It ‘softens’ up the targeted area. It is also going to be our third ministry introduced into Kenya as the resources become available. The first is discipleship of course, and it is going strong.  The second ministry to be introduced is all about your next set of questions. Kenya is learning right now how to do the following training and making plans to incorporate it into what we already do in the slums in Nairobi.


Reusable Sanitary Pad Questions:


1.)  How much does it cost to do a workshop?

I love this ministry because it is the cheapest thing we do with the greatest physical impact.  The potential here is for making life better for 1/2 the total population.  Yes, I know that you now think I’m a heartless, shallow and callous man, but it is part of my job to consider these sorts of things.  Each workshop - we call them ‘trainings’ - cost approximately $33 US or 120,000 Ugandan shillings.  


2.)  How often are the workshops done?

Currently we do 2 - 3 per month, as the guys on the ground request them. Very soon we hope to be doing the “trainings” in Kenya as resources come available. The Kenyan team is learning this as this email is being answered. We have begun limiting the size of our trainings to 20 attenders, and requesting and encouraging those that attend to train five more. This limit is much easier for us to be prepared and to handle the trainings effectively.  


3.)  What materials are used to make the pads?

The materials can all be found locally and are very affordable and include absorbent fabric, comfortable fabric, buttons, and string. The tools used are: paper patterns, scissors, and needles.  Easy peasy and very effective!


4.) Approximately, what percentage of girls will quit school for lack of sanitary pads?

I am not sure we would know how to track this statistic, but there are many, many. 


5.)  What items will women use if they don't have access to the reusable pads?

Rags, tee-shirts, nothing - many will simply hide behind closed doors.  


6.)  After the workshop, what supplies do the women get to keep?

They get to keep their craft of course; they go home with a pattern and the needles. We collect the scissors, but each time 3- 5 disappear.  Children generally use the leftover fabric scraps for toys, headbands, etc.  


7.) How accessible/affordable are the materials that are used to make the pads?

Very! This is why we teach how to make them instead of relying upon mission teams, individuals, or churches to provide them.  Though, we are considering collecting them from groups for women who are in prisons and do not have access to materials or tools in order to make them. We are only considering this at this time because before distribution can begin there are challenges to overcome, such as: collection, storage and distribution. Every solution always comes at a greater cost and has to be carefully considered or it may affect negatively other ministries.  An unintended blessing from this ministry that was never considered before it began is that often women who have participated begin making them and selling them as a steady source of personal income. It’s a win-win.


8.)  Approximately, how much does it take each month to put on workshops?

Currently in Uganda we have budgeted $75 monthly, and as of today there is no funding available in Kenya. (We are looking forward to making this huge impact for little cost!) 


I think that covers all the questions I had.  I hope I haven't asked too many questions.  I'm just super excited that God has given me the privilege to do something like this with our ladies.  On a personal note, I have another question.  


How did you know God was calling you to some kind of service to Him?  

I love this question! I get asked this frequently - actually almost every time I stand and speak in a crowd someone gets me to the side out of earshot of everyone in order to ask it.  I completely understand their need for secrecy, because until you announce your call there is no one holding you accountable and it might be easier to let the call slide, and you will have not lost “face.”  You see, I went through this very thing myself.  My answer to your question is always the same, and it is a question itself: I ask, “How can someone who reads their Bible, listens to Christian music, attends Sunday School, listens to sermons, and prays regularly NOT KNOW THEY ARE CALLED TO SERVE?” You see sometimes God shouts to get our attention but not very often.  Usually it is a still small voice that stirs deep inside our souls calling us to go, give and serve more.  We as humans are pretty good at ignoring His voice, or even thinking it’s something else entirely.  Often we are glued to inaction because we are uncertain or unsure of His “call”.  I think most often it’s not necessarily a disobedient kind of thing that causes inaction, but rather a complete misunderstanding of the definition of the word - “called”.  I think people have thought a call is a scary, mystical kind of something that is accompanied by a choir of angels or maybe Gabriel blowing his trumpet.  A call though is really nothing more than a incessant tug upon your heart and soul guiding you somewhere to do something.  This I can assure you, if you have a sense of a call inside you it is most definitely not of of the evil one.  Satan would prefer you to sit quietly and diligently in your pew doing nothing or at least a very minimum to impact the world for Christ and for the good of others just like so many others who have ignored that still small voice.  I have met you, and we have walked together, and I know this for a fact - you will never feel complete sitting on the sidelines.  You were meant to be in the game.  You my dear friend are a soldier.   People often believe they have to see, hear and participate in signs and wonders to know exactly if beginning this mission or serving in that place or church is the will of God. In my experience the will of God is whatever door is open at that time. Just walk through it with boldness.  Go where He leads. 


I can't explain it, but ever since I have gotten back from Africa I have had this restless feeling.  I would love to be able to explain it, but I can't.  You just did!  Hopefully, you understand, and yes I most certainly do.  I'm not sure what God might be calling me to do, but I really believe after months of prayer and searching that He is calling.  Africa will forever be in my heart, and I am looking forward to returning with Mt. Zion in January 2019.  


Very soon, in fact this week I’m rolling out a new partnership plan for the vision of the IMFC.  I believe it’s time that individuals, groups and churches become full partners in the Acts 11 vision of making disciples who produce disciples - worldwide.   


Thank you SO much for your time!  It means a lot to me.  I look forward to hearing from you. No, thank you! I look forward to seeing, hearing and reading what God does through you.


Thanks, 


LeAnne Jenkins  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. We will read them and reply if necessary soon.